Friday, March 19, 2010

you know what they say...

"they" being well-meaning people who tell all sorts of tidbits, suggestions and pieces of advice to expectant and new moms... you know the ones... and the things they say... like "parenting is tough, but absolutely worth it" - on that, I happen to agree. or how about how EVERYONE tells you about the "terrible two's" and even that "three is even worse - especially with girls" - well, I am obviously not there just yet, Goose being almost 15 months old now... what "they" forgot to tell me? the terrible two's? they actually start at 12 months. seriously.

ever since Goose hit the one year mark she has been throwing the CRAZIEST temper tantrums... she will go from being super sweet and smiling, to (as her Grampa likes to call her) an "angry elf" - and I mean angry. I know sometimes it's just her being angry because I've taken away something she was playing with (that she shouldn't have... like the outlet cover she just removed from the outlet... or the Sharpie marker or ink pen she's walking around with... or the camera after she's been hitting it against the window repeatedly... you know, things like that) and she just gets so mad... often though I know that it's frustration at the lack of communication... I know how ornery she gets when she's hungry and the food just isn't ready yet (she gets it from me... and I get it from my dad... it's a low-blood sugar thing. it runs in the family. ask anyone who knows us. I'm certain it's well documented somewhere.) and when she gets mad/frustrated/whatever - she lets you know it... she grabs & pinches, she bites, she screams... it's downright scary sometimes how fast it happens!! I guess I didn't think that we would escape this phase... I just didn't know it would start so soon.

earlier this evening I gave her a bottle and she was all cuddly afterwards... for a few minutes... and then she wanted to climb all over me (which she did, I'm cool with being a jungle gym) and then climb onto the arm of the loveseat to grab her now-empty bottle off the end table (okay, no biggie... let's play with the bottle - fun) and THEN she tips it upside down and starts pushing it on the dog, the loveseat, me... (okay, so when I said it was empty? I meant practically empty... there are always a few drops left in the bottom right?) so now there is milk on the dog (oh well) the loveseat (crap, hope Gramma & Grampa aren't expecting to get this back) and me (wait - is it puke? poop? oh, no need to change then. I'm good) but still, I think "yeah, we're done with this" and take the bottle away... she was not impressed. and to be sure I knew it, she promptly pulled her paci right out of her mouth, and proceeded to take those sharp little teeth right to my forearm. no kidding. I immediately said "GOOSE! you better not be biting Momma!" and it stopped her... but geez. remind anyone else of a Velociraptor? no? just me I guess. (too much time watching Jurassic Park with hubs I think)

earlier than that, in the kitchen as she's eating a snack, she keeps chucking her sippy cup of juice onto the floor... seriously. how many times in the half hour since we'd been home could I tell her "no" ?? and really... I think I tell her "no" too often... I'm trying to stop doing this, as I find myself saying it all the time... of course she's always getting into something that she shouldn't... and of course I'm usually distracted either trying to make dinner, wash dishes, get some work done on the computer, etc... which is totally off topic... how do YOU handle the situation when your kids are getting into something they shouldn't be while you're trying to get something done? I need the help. and the advice. so tell me, what do THEY say I should be doing?? ;)

No comments: