Saturday, March 27, 2010

hurt feelings

okay, so I know this is totally ridiculous, but Goose hurt my feelings today... and just to prove I know how ridiculous it is, I'm blogging it, so y'all can agree that, yes, it's absolutely ridiculous. I guess I should explain, right?

when Goose was young, she would willingly go to anyone who wanted to hold her... when she got a little older, it was mostly just "momma" that she wanted... then for a while, hubs or her aunt (the one that babysat her for 5 months) would be her top picks... sometimes my sister and mom would also do in a pinch. since she started daycare and getting the socialization she's been SO much better... yet still, she's not the biggest fan of my dad, or my father in law, or even my brother in law... I mean she doesn't scream when she sees them, but she doesn't want to be left alone with them either ;) I know it's mostly a "male" thing, and it's not directed at only one particular male...

but today I dropped Goose off at my sister's for a couple of hours while I went to scrapbook at my aunt's house a couple miles away... while she was there, she happily played with my sister, and even my brother in law when he got home from work... later G & I went out to my mom & dad's to visit (daddy had foot surgery a couple days ago so he's recuperating on the couch) and G (which is what Grampa calls her by the way - really) was all over the place with my mom, but wouldn't go near my dad... he even tried to bribe her with a hamburger patty (which she took from my mom, but not him) as well as a popsicle (same story)... my dad just blew it off saying "eh, no problem. she's fine" but I wondered if he was hurt by my daughter's continued rejection... and in turn, it hurt my feelings, that my Goose might be hurting my beloved Daddy. (I told you it was ridiculous, did I not?) I mean yes, she was tired, it had been a long day and she didn't nap well, yes - there was a lot going on, and yes - she is a lot better with him than she used to be (when she isn't tired & hungry) but still... c'mon, at this age, shouldn't she just KNOW how awesome he is?? because he totally is... he's the best.dad.ever. (don't tell hubs I said that will ya?) and I'm really really ready for the day that she "gets" that... I think that partially I feel rejected when she rejects him (wow, I am such a Daddy's Girl - you didn't know until now did you? well. now you do.) and in turn, my feelings are hurt...

so yeah. I'm ridiculous, and I know it. now I'm just waiting for G to get over this little bump so I can be absolutely content in knowing that she "gets" that her Grampa, well, he's the bomb-diggity. :)

1 comment:

Sami said...

I don't think it's ridiculous. I think you don't want your dad's feelings hurt by your child. I'd feel the same way. I don't think D feels that way as our son still avoids his grandparents for the first day and a half they are here. Now my mom he's all about her. Eventually she'll understand Grandpa is the best, just give her some time. It's a hard world adjusting to everyone - even when you've been around them since you were born.