Monday, April 19, 2010

success!! and then not...

so yeah. y'all might know (or not?) that we're co-sleepers... we've co-slept since we brought Goose home from the hospital, and with the exclusion of the one month she slept in her crib at the 8month mark - she's been sleeping in our bed up until present day (at approx. 15.5 months old) and up until the last month or two it's been just fabulous.. hubs works nights, and even on his nights off stays up most of the night, so G & I just cuddle all night long... well, until she started squirming. this kid moves so much in the night... seriously, she's often got her feet in my face, or ribs, or her head down by my knees... it's crazy!

so last Sunday we had an Open House (cuz ya know, our house is on the market - any buyers out there?) and I packed up the pack & play Saturday night while cleaning, and took her to bed with me, same as usual... well, Sunday night it was getting late, I was tired, I didn't want to get the P&P back out - so I figured, eh, what the heck - let's give the crib another try... and you won't believe it - but it worked!! she slept in her crib ALL NIGHT LONG! for 5 whole nights! well... the majority of 5 whole nights... 2 of those nights she woke up around 2am-2:30am (darn teeth!!) and was very restless... I spent the next 3 hours with her in the rocker in her room... before putting her back in the crib & heading back to bed when hubs got home (she probably would have been okay in there earlier than 5/5:30am - but I had fallen asleep - it happens.) and then over the weekend, hubs was off work - so when she woke up in the middle of the night (2am-3am-ish) hubs gave her a bottle - but couldn't get her to stay asleep once he placed her in the crib... so instead, he brought her up to me... so yeah. the past two nights she's been in her crib from 9ish- 2ish, then in bed with me until I got up (9ish yesterday, 6ish today)...

hubs is back on duty tonight and I'm hoping the past two nights didn't set us back too far... going to try once again for a decent bedtime (like, before 10 would be fantastic) and crossing my fingers that she stays in the crib all night (ya know, minus the middle of the night bottle)...

speaking of the "middle of the night bottle" ... I'd read and been told a million times that you should wean your child off the bottle at the one-year mark... well... I think Goose has been bottle-free at daycare for 2-3 weeks now (she was getting one in the mornings still) but at home we still do one before bed, and in the middle of the night - and sometimes even one first thing in the morning if it's been a long time... I'm thinking that we're going to start trying a sippy of milk before bed, and still a bottle in the night and see how that goes... if that goes well, maybe soon we'll ditch the middle of the night bottle too...

which brings me to another musing... when should she no longer be waking up to eat in the night? should I start giving her some type of before bed snack with her milk? (be assured, I'll be asking her doctor tomorrow at Goose's 15month check-up - just wondering what the general consensus is out there in BlogLand...)

have a great Monday y'all...

No comments: